Funding FAQ

Funding for Faculty

1. What kind of support does the University provide to faculty for activities that seek to connect Princeton with scholars and institutions abroad?

There are a number of programs to which faculty members can apply for support.  These include:

  • a program for developing global collaborative networks (GCN)
  •  a program for bringing distinguished scholars from abroad to Princeton for extended periods and extensive involvement (GS)
  •  a set of funds associated with each of the University’s strategic partner institutions which provide joint grants to Princeton faculty and faculty from the strategic partner institution
  • a very flexible general fund for support of nearly any sort of faculty initiative that would advance our internationalization efforts (IF). 

These funds vary widely in their particulars such as typical sizes of allocations, proposal requirements and deadlines, selection criteria and processes, durations etc.  See Funding for International Research for the specifics of each fund. These funds are administered by the Provost’s Office via the Associate Provost for International Operations and Affairs and associated staff, with the support of the Council and various other faculty members on an ad hoc basis.

2. I want to spend some time (say, a week to a month) to work with a collaborator/collaborators at a foreign institution. Are there resources for this, and if so which ones? Is it required that the hosting institution be a "strategic partner?"

Does the Council for International Teaching and Research help fund academic leaves / sabbaticals at foreign/partner institutions?

The IF (Internationalization Fund) would be the most appropriate source of support for such a single/isolated visit to a foreign institution whether short term or longer term (such as a sabbatical leave stay). Note however that such support will have to be justified primarily in terms of its contribution towards the University’s internationalization goals and not on the basis of its scholarly merit or career development potential.  Such visits could also be supported as a part of a larger effort funded by the Global Collaborative Network grant (GCN) or by a strategic partnership grant.

Only the funding made available via the joint strategic partnership grants is restricted to use at those host institutions.  The other funding sources may be used for visits to any foreign institution.

3. I want to invite a collaborator to spend some time (say, a week to a month) to work with me in Princeton. Does the council provide resources for this, and if so which ones? Is it required that the sending institution be a "strategic partner?"

The same possible sources of support for Princeton faculty visiting foreign institutions also apply to bringing colleagues from abroad to Princeton.  However and in addition, the Global Scholar program can provide quite substantial support for bringing sufficiently well qualified international colleagues to campus for more extended, broad and intensive engagement with the hosting Princeton unit and the broader University community.

4. If we wanted to run a one-week summit with a global teaching collaborative attached, is there a university body to which we could apply for partial support?

The best source for funding an innovative international idea like this that does not fit into existing internationalization pathways (such as strategic partnerships, global collaborative network grants, and global scholars program) is the Internationalization Fund (IF). The IF Fund is a very flexible general fund for support of nearly any sort of faculty initiative that would advance our internationalization efforts.

5. Does the university have funds to support one- or two-year practitioners-in-residence, e.g., the chief economist from the World Bank or the former president of the African Development Bank, who could take on teaching roles?

The Woodrow Wilson School usually has a small number of practitioners visiting for a year or two, but receives a great many requests for such appointments and the funds available to support them are limited.  Such requests are handled by the Office of the Dean of the Woodrow Wilson School.

6. What University support is available to me and my dept/postdocs/students if I have or wish to have scholarly collaborations or educational activities with colleagues at an institution abroad which is not one of Princeton's strategic partners?

Primary support for international scholarly collaborations is provided, in many cases, by departmental funds. In addition, the University supports such collaborations via the Global Collaborative Network Grants (GCN). Such funds are granted through an annual call for proposals and are awarded by a faculty selection committee in a competitive selection process. These funds can be used to support collaborations and mobility of faculty, postdocs, and students, but cannot be used to support salaries of postdocs and researchers or summer salaries.

In addition, the newly available International Fund (IF fund) supports innovative international projects and collaborations that do not fit into the parameters of the strategic partnership grants or the Global Collaborative grants. The IF funds are a mechanism for funding creative ideas that support the internationalization aims.

7. If I want to organize and lead a student trip abroad as part of my class, where do I find funding?

Established in 2017, The Learning Across Borders program (LABs) supports faculty-led programs of short duration (1-2 weeks) that allow faculty members to share their scholarship with students in an international context and connect to curricular themes outside of the traditional classroom. These can be curricular or co-curricular programs (the latter being activities outside of but complementary to the official curriculum, such as a civic or service activity outside the classroom) with the goal of providing opportunities for faculty members to contribute their scholarly expertise in a way that enriches students’ academic experience and fosters global perspectives in the existing curriculum.  All applicants should seek a financial commitment from their department chair or program director first and include the departmental contributions with their proposal to LABs.  Applications are considered on a rolling basis for requests under 10,000; additionally, there is a yearly call for proposals for larger requests.  Faculty interested in this resource should refer to the LABs funding page and apply through the Office of the Associate Provost for International Affairs.

8. If I want to organize a conference at the Princeton campus involving international colleagues, where do I find funding?

There is no source for funding at the University that is earmarked specifically for bringing foreign colleagues to campus to participate in conferences.  Rather, faculty should apply through the regular channels available in their specific fields.  In international and regional studies, funding for conferences that involve bringing international colleagues to campus is available through the PIIRS Conference Fund. In the humanities, the Humanities Council has funds that could be used for this purpose.

Other Resources and Support for Faculty

1. A colleague from an overseas university is looking to place one of his/her undergraduate students in a summer research internship at Princeton. How can I arrange that?

The Associate Provost for International Affairs and Operations (APIAO), in collaboration with the Dean of Research and ODOC’s Office of Undergraduate Research, launched the International Student Internship Program (ISIP) in 2016 to allow Princeton University faculty and scholars (and administrators whose work is internationally focused) to host international undergraduates from educational institutions abroad for internships during the summer months.

ISIP provides opportunities for promising young scholars to work with Princeton faculty (or relevant staff) and to experience the unique research and scholarly environment on our campus.

2. What kind of “welcome” packet (email or online-based) can we in our academic units give to incoming international Visiting Fellows, Visiting Research Collaborators, and other global scholars to help onboard them successfully?

The Davis International Center has an online guide for newly arrived international visitors.

3. I frequently get requests from foreign colleagues who would like to send a graduate student to spend a few months or semester here, interacting and maybe working with me. I have done it a couple of times using the VSRC format. Are there alternatives o

There is no alternative mechanism to receive (or appoint) foreign graduate students for such extended periods on campus.  Hosting a foreign graduate student for a long term (longer than X) without obtaining a VSRC appointment is a significant violation of University policy and carries serious liability risks in addition to having other disadvantages.

The Graduate School has some resources available to support the costs of a VSRC appointment, and the various funding programs the University makes available for internationalization activities can be used for this purpose when appropriately justified.

4. I am teaching a course and would like to take my students abroad during the break for a course-related field trip. What should I know about making arrangements?

Faculty wishing to lead a course-related field trip during break should liaise with the Associate Provost of International Affairs and the Office of International Programs (for undergraduate courses) for advice, resources with regard to visas and health and safety, and logistical support for the trip. Faculty should keep in mind Princeton’s travel policies for sponsored trips.  For information, see University travel policies.

Such trips, if they are a required part of the course, must be available to all students and should not be an extra cost to students.  Normally, such field trips are financially supported by the department offering the course.   (Add possible supplementary funding when the Santander funds come through).

Please note that the University does not approve travel to countries under a State Department Travel Warning unless an exemption is granted by the Travel Oversight Group. Requests for such exemptions need to be made far in advance, well before any deposits are made or tickets purchased.

5. My department wants to investigate developing a faculty-led summer course for undergraduates. Where do I start?

We encourage faculty to bring the classroom abroad in the summer. Currently, faculty-led summer programs are offered in two ways: (1) as a Global Seminar through the Princeton Institute for International and Regional Studies (PIIRS) and (2) as a departmental offering.  Courses offered in the summer for Princeton credit must meet a minimum of four weeks (six weeks is preferable) and have a minimum number of contact hours.

Faculty who teach a summer course receive a prorated salary, travel expenses, accommodation, and a per diem.  They are responsible for developing the course, selecting the participants, and helping prepare the students for the program. Faculty who are not part of the Global Seminar Program administered through PIIRS can expect support from the Office of International Programs in all aspects of program development and implementation.

6. A student wants to receive credit for a semester of study abroad at reputable institution with which I am familiar, but the overseas university is not on the approved list for Princeton. How should I handle this?

Please discuss the matter with the Office of International Programs. There are many excellent universities abroad that are not listed on the approved list. The University try to limit the number of options in order to make the list manageable for students and advisers.  The list includes programs/universities in all regions of the world and focuses on those that attract a steady stream of Princeton students from year to year.  There are other strong program/universities not on the list that a faculty member may recommend for a particular student. The student can submit a petition, supported by the faculty member, to study at that institution. The petition is very likely to be approved.

7. Can departments/centers/programs work directly with independent travel operators to customize and implement international travel excursions for mixed, multi-age groups of students, faculty, associates, alumni, and friends of the university?

The University’s preferred vendor for travel is World Travel, Inc or individual travel can alternatively be arranged through Concur. For group educational travel, complex arrangements or travel to certain countries, additional customized resources can be arranged. Please contact Susan Godfrey, Travel Program

8. Where can a faculty trip leader find information on how to prepare to take a group abroad? (A checklist might be helpful.) What support or resources are available?

You can find a comprehensive list of travel resources and checklist.  In particular, if you are a faculty leader for an international trip, the Office of International Programs offers a very useful faculty workshop each spring and has an excellent resource and faculty Handbook.

9. I didn’t know that special resources were available for “international” activities. Is there a webpage somewhere that identifies there “international” opportunities?

Funding for International Research


1. If I have ideas or suggestions about the University's internationalization policies or activities, whom should I contact?

The Office of the Associate Provost for International Operations and Affairs administers and implements the University’s global activities, and input on the practical/ operational level should be brought to that office.

2. To whom should I speak if I want to discuss not yet fully developed plans or ideas which would advance the University's internationalization goals or which have an international component?

The Associate Provost of International Affairs is a good first point of contact for faculty and other members of the Princeton University community who have ideas about advancing internationalization and/or enhancing the international scope of Princeton’s research or teaching mission. The APIAO can bring in other relevant parties as necessary (CITR, Office of General Counsel, Office of International Programs, Dean of Research, ORPA, etc.).

3. With whom should academic units be communicating about the limitations/restrictions associated with student, faculty, and staff travel visas to countries that are less “open” to Americans (Iran, etc.)? Are academic units advised to approach embassies

For any visa related questions regarding incoming scholars or students, please contact the Davis International Center, which offers specialized support and resources for international students and scholars.

For visa-related questions regarding outgoing students or scholars (short course trips abroad, PU faculty or researchers participating in scholarly exchanges, graduate or postdoc research abroad, etc.), the University has two resources:

  1. The first place to check is Visa Central, a visa service provider where you can find checklists of requirements, applications and forms. (Fees have been negotiated specifically for Princeton travelers.)
  2. For more complex visa inquiries involving group travel, foreign nationals, long-term travel or travel that involves payment abroad, please contact the Office of the Associate Provost of International Affairs, who can be helpful in providing visa advice, advice about work permits, tax implications and who can liaise with Embassies and consulates as necessary.
4. For resources and help with writing a formal agreement, developing new international initiatives, planning and budgeting for new international summer/break week programs, visas

Please refer to the contact page of the website.