24/7 Medical and Travel Security Assistance
International SOS Provides Worldwide Support
International SOS provides Princeton students, faculty, and staff traveling outside the US with worldwide medical and travel security assistance services. International SOS is available to provide pre-departure guidance as well as 24/7 support to Princeton travelers in the event of medical or security emergency abroad. All University Princeton students, faculty, and staff on University-sponsored trips are automatically enrolled in International SOS coverage.
Princeton travelers can access a wealth of information via International SOS's online portal and are highly encouraged to take advantage of the detailed information on more than 200 countries and 300 cities, such as:
- Evaluation and analysis of health, travel and security risks
- Daily updates on travel security, disruptive incidents and situational developments
- Travel guides and cultural tips
- Subscription to proactive email alerts
To access country-specific information and sign up for email alerts visit www.internationalsos.com and log in with Princeton Membership # 11BSGC000022. For simple instructions on how to access these resources, please see the guides linked below.
Additional services for assessing travel risk are available through International SOS, such as one-on-one consultations or itinerary-specific briefings. For more details, please contact Erin Wolf, Associate Director, International Travel and Safety.
Those traveling with smartphones are encouraged to download the International SOS Assistance App to use before and during your next trip for easy access to medical, security, and logistics experts for routine advice or for help in an emergency. Additionally, travelers can access up-to-date medical and security advice and real-time alerts about your destination. When you first open the app, simply enter Princeton Membership # 11BSGC000022.
If you plan to travel internationally, please print and carry an International SOS membership card. Make sure to keep your International SOS card safe and with you at all times while abroad.
Should you encounter difficulties while traveling abroad, please contact International SOS per the instructions on your card (see below). International SOS will provide immediate assistance to the traveler and will notify the University immediately for additional support and guidance.
International SOS Program Benefits
International SOS provides worldwide medical referrals, country-specific risk assessment, lost passport assistance, and other services. We encourage you to familiarize yourself with the benefits outlined below prior to departure. Additionally, travelers may reference this International SOS benefits flyer (pdf) for a quick overview of services.
- Emergency evacuation
- Medically-supervised repatriation
- Companion ticket
- Additional travel and accommodation arrangements after medical evacuation
- Repatriation of mortal remains
- Return home of minor children
- Medical monitoring
- Inpatient admission and identification of receiving physician
- Emergency and routine medical advice
- Pre-trip information on travel health issues
- Medical and dental referrals
- Outpatient referrals
- Outpatient case management
- Claims assistance
- Outpatient medical expense guarantee and payment
- Inpatient medical expense guarantee, cost review and payment
- Dispatch of medication and medical supplies
The joint venture of International SOS and Control Risks provides you access to the following services:
- Urgent and non-urgent travel security assistance and advice by telephone
- Daily online and email updates on the latest travel security developments
- Special Advisory emails with advice in response to significant travel security incidents
- Security and travel information on 220 countries and more than 330 cities
- Access to security evacuation
- Coordination of post-evacuation debriefs and counselling
- Legal referrals
- Emergency message transmission
- Translations and interpreters
- Lost document advice
- Ground transportation and accommodations for accompanying family members
- Emergency personal cash advances
Please be aware that some International SOS services may carry additional charges. Should you request a service which has an additional charge, International SOS will inform you in advance and ask for a personal credit card to cover the services.